Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Article By: Happily Ever Outdoors


- Lake Twenty-Two: Granite Falls, WA -

I've grown accustomed to new cities, new towns, and new states over the years. My time serving in the military has taken my wife and I (along with our 3 children) from our home state of Washington all the way to the Deep South of Georgia, and now up to the northeastern United States. It's been quite the journey, and along the way we've had the opportunity to see much of the beauty this country has to offer. Still, there's no place quite like home.


- Growing up camping in the Pacific Northwest -
  As a boy (I'm the blonde one!) my parents taught me an appreciation for the outdoors from a very young age. Sure, it rained a lot (as WA state is well known for) but everything was always so lush, green & alive. Trees grew tall, huge ferns flourished, and cool running water abounded. It was an amazing place to grow up! Unfortunately as I matured my appreciation for my surroundings began to dwindle (as they often due during our teenage years), and I longed to see something more, something different. Little did I know that soon enough my service with the Army would grant me that opportunity and bring me down the long & winding path to where I am today.

- My own shot of Mt Pilchuck in Granite Falls, WA -
  Up until recently it had been over 5 years since I had last visited my home state. Unexpectedly I was able to take vacation time in conjunction with a duty assignment in Seattle: the perfect opportunity to get back to my roots! As I boarded the plane in Newark, New Jersey I was filled with a strange mixture of excitement, anxiety & joy. It's difficult to describe, almost like running into an old friend from high school that you've always missed, but never bothered to call or visit. I honestly felt a little guilty it had been so long, and I was unsure of what to expect. Would it be as I remembered?

- Me & my Dad at the Granite Falls Fish Ladders -

  I grew up in the small town of Granite Falls, WA. Known as "The Gateway to The Mountain Loop" and surrounded by forests and mountains, it's a perfect example of what Washington is known for. Coming home after all these years actually gave me a fresh set of eyes, & I realized it wasn't as I had remembered: it was so much more beautiful than I ever realized! being around my family & the folks from the church where I grew up, walking past the skate park where I spent my teenage summers and stopping by me & my wife's old favorite coffee stand (still around after all these years!) the place I was once eager to get away from all of a sudden felt like exactly where I belonged. And the hiking! Oh my goodness, don't even get me started!
- Me, hiking Heather Lake Trail in Granite Falls, WA, 2017 -
  You know what they say about the grass being greener on the other side? Well, it sure seemed that way before... but now? It's so easy to take for granted the beauty that surrounds us and to undervalue the places where we grew up, isn't it? I realize now that there was always adventure to be had & memories to be made, I just never looked hard enough for them. Lord willing one day I'll put my stakes back in this place for good, but for now I've also learned that I need to take the time to explore, understand and appreciate where I am today. Life is so short and nothing is guaranteed, so it's time to stop living on autopilot! Sometimes it takes losing what you have to appreciate what you've got, and I've been blessed over the years with good friends and precious memories all over the country. But one thing is for certain: regardless of where I spend the rest of my days, the PNW is an inseparable part of who I am, & I'm proud of it!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Candy Corn Survival

How can candy corn help you in a survival situation? You left the office Halloween party early to take a quick hike around the lake ...